Tuesday, November 2, 2010

What are You Looking For?


I have climbed highest mountains
I have run through the fields
Only to be with You, Only to be with You

I have run, I have crawled
I have scaled these city walls
These city walls, Only to be with You

But I still haven’t found what I’m looking for
But I still haven’t found what I’m looking for

I have kissed honey lips
Felt the healing fingertips
It burned like fire, this burning desire

I have spoke with the tongue of angels
I have held the hand of the devil
It was warm in the night, I was cold as a stone

But I still haven’t found what I’m looking for
But I still haven’t found what I’m looking for

I believe in the kingdom come
And all the colors bleed into one
Bleed into one, but yes, I’m still running
You broke the bonds, You loosened the chains
You carried my cross and my shame
And my shame, You know I believe it.

But I still haven’t found what I’m looking for
But I still haven’t found what I’m looking for   (U2)

Words of wisdom these may be though definitely not new in their content, for the search of the heart is something that everyone goes through.

The wisest man to ever live wrote down for us his journey of discovery in life. This revelation to us can be found in the book of Ecclesiastes in the Bible. Step by step through the aspects of life he determines that everything is meaningless. Wisdom, folly, all labor and achievement, advancement at work or in society, riches and material possessions, all these and more are meaningless, “a chasing after the wind!”

But all is not lost, because there is a greater purpose to life than the daily grinding road from birth to death that all humanity walks on. The writer of Ecclesiastes at the end of his search concluded that our responsibility is to:
            “Fear God and keep His commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. For God will bring every deed into judgment, including every hidden thing, whether it is good or evil.” (Ecclesiastes 12:13-14)

If you are on a search for what really matters in life, give Ecclesiastes a read and gain some perspective on what is worth committing your time, energy and life to.

God’s message to us did not stop with Ecclesiastes. He continues our journey with the message of the cross. Jesus carried our cross, our penalty, our judgment and bore all of the suffering for our sakes so that we might have the promise of life to come, a life with meaning and purpose.

            “For God so love the world that He gave His one and only Son,
that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” (John 3:16)

Knowing the truth and believing in and living the truth are totally different. Once you have accepted the promise of God for eternal life, you can also accept his promise to guide you in your search. You will find what you’re looking for in life when you put God in his rightful place in your life.

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord,
“plans to prosper you and not to harm you,
plans to give you hope and a future” (Jeremiah 29:11)

No comments:

Post a Comment